Twin Disc pioneered the slipping clutch concept more than 30 years ago and today offers a full line of timetested, field-proven Marine Control Drives (MCDs).
The new series of MCDs offers distinct operating advantages for any vessel requiring highly accurate positioning or extreme slow-speed maneuverability while splitting main engine power to operate high-powered FiFi pumps.
- Extraordinarily modulated power achieves propeller speeds below engine idling speed
- Unique design and manufacture allow for intentional clutch slipping to regulate propulsion speed
- LD (Low Dissipation) slips up to engine idle speed for maneuvering and DP operation*
- HD (High Dissipation) slips up to rated engine speed with the capability to dissipate all heat generated by that when power dividing*
- Optional high-power PTO to drive auxiliary equipment
- Used in conjunction with azimuth thruster systems
- Best alternative to controllable pitch propellers (CPP)
- Smooth, gradual propeller speed change resulting in improved maneuverability
- Safer and easier vessel control during slow speed maneuvering and docking
- Adjustment of propeller speeds below engine speed rating
- Divides the power from the main propulsion engine to eliminate the need for auxiliary engines
- Delivers an instant response when required
- Bearing calculated for high universal joint angles at maximum power
- Dynamic positioning (DP) capable
- Emergency “come home” device per classification requirements
- Easy, in-engine room maintenance; no need for diver assistance or to dry-dock the vessel
* Slip at any engine speed can be done based upon specific application criteria. Twin Disc’s expert application team will help customize your MCD selection to any desired operator requirement.